[nagdu] Canada: Public Transit

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 28 22:11:00 UTC 2011

Hi Abigail:

My name is Gary and I have lived in Toronto and am currently living in Vancouver. I'll give you some general information and if you have more specific questions don't hesitate to email off list at g.steeves at shaw.ca

The thing with your questions about transit is it all depends on what area of the city you live in. Toronto has 3 subway lines. One is anorht south line that is shaped like a horse shoe with the bottom being at the heart of downtown toronto. there is also an east west line more or less centrally located along Bloor/danforth street. There is also a short east - west line in the north part of the city on sheppard ave. in the downtown core many streets have streetcars. I actually got my dog at a school just outside of Toronto so  did our subway and city trips in the downtown area of Toronto. As you get further out to the subburbs the frequency of the buses decreases which is the same in Vancouer.

Vancouver has 3 lines as well. a lot of our system is called a skytrain because it is a monorail on overpasses above ground. Gives great views. We have one major line that goes from downtown to Surrey which is the fastest growing city in Canada, a subburb of Vancouver. Another line goes east and then loops around to connect with the major line. Thanks to the olympics we also now have a line which is mostly underground that goesfrom downtown to the airport and a subburb called Richmond. Basically in Vancouver proper the transit is excellent. Again, like most cities, as you move into the burbs the frequency decreases. Vancouvers system is wheelchair accessible throughout and has announcements on all buses to alert the next stop name.

Write me off list with some more details about where you might be going and I'm sure I'll have better info for you.

Cheers
Gary