[nagdu] Echo's checkup

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Dec 29 15:47:13 UTC 2011

My retired guide Echo is 16, going on 17.  She's on a couple medications,
and just had a checkup yesterday.  The vet couldn't believe how old she
is.  She said Echo's coat is shiny and healthy-looking, like that of a
younger dog.  She asked me what food Echo is eating, which is Canidae.  So
it seems like feeding a high-quality food is having good effects.
She also said that Echo's eyes look fine, which is good.  I have been
putting ointment in one eye every day or two for a while, because it gets
very runny, and the effort seems to be working.  I had asked the list for
eye-ointment administration suggestions.  What's working for me is to put
a bit on my finger, pull the skin around her eye gently so the eye is
open, and dab on the ointment.  I had been trying to do it directly from
the tube, but I have a much better idea of exactly where my finger is than
I did of where the end of the tube was.  I was always afraid of jabbing
her eye by accident.
Anyway, the old gal keeps on trucking!
Tracy