[nagdu] Guide Dog Handler Bill of Rights

Peggy pshald at neb.rr.com
Tue Feb 1 04:38:43 UTC 2011

With Se, once you leave the school with that dog it's yours to do what you
wish with, hopefully work it.  But when it retires, no matter when that is,
you can choose to keep him/her or give him/her to a friend or family, or
send him/her back to SE.  When I gave up my first dog, a yellow lab, that
was having some definate anxiety issues, I had only worked her for a year
and a half ... I could have kept her, given her to someone ... what I chose
to do was send her back to SE to see if they could work with her and maybe
she could continue guide dog work.  She did retire and they notified me that
she could not be retrained and even asked if I wanted her back as a pet.
Just thought I'd share because I saw at the end of the post you said you
weren't sure if after a short time they'd still let you keep the dog ... at
least I thought that's what you meant.