[nagdu] The Seeing Eye & Ownership

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 1 11:11:30 UTC 2011

Dear All,
    Let me begin by saying I am not a seeing Eye consumer. It is my opinion
that The Seeing Eye has it right, as it relates to ownership. In short, TSE
believes that the dog belongs to the consumer and it is the consumer's right
to make all decisions as it pertains to the dog. This includes both early
and end-of-work retirement,even after the consumer makes the difficult
choice to surrender the dog, as illustrated by Peggy's experience.
    One untruth Mr. Russman stated during our telephone conversation, when I
asserted that TSE grants full ownership upon completion of training, was
that TSE does not offer any sort of follow-up. I told him I knew too many
TSE consumers and that he was absolutely wrong. Then he qualified his
statement by saying something like, "Well, not to the level of Fidelco!" If,
by that he means the type of follow-up in which they call and say, "I am
five minutes from your house and I am coming over to see your dog!", he is
right! I feel no guide dog program should impose themselves upon their
consumers. Such tactics are very intimidating and paternalistic!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala