[nagdu] Input in matching

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Feb 1 19:04:43 UTC 2011

I would like some input into the matchmaking, but I'm not sure it would
improve the process.  For instance, one of my classmates met one of her
prospective dogs and fell in love with him, but by the end of a couple
weeks, he was driving her nuts and she had to make a switch.  Also, I
remember my first few walks with Echo.  She was dreadful!  Slower than a
turtle, and sloppy with it.  But, once she got used to the idea of this
new person, she improved a lot, and worked until she was past 11 years
old.  But, if I'd picked or rejected her on the basis of that first
walk...well, it wouldn't have happened.
In that class at GDB, the instructor called me a couple weeks beforehand,
and told me the characteristics of the dogs they had in mind for me, and
asked my preference.  I liked that very much, and would be delighted to
have that happen again.

A friend of mine, in her most recent class at TSE, did work the 2 dogs
they had in mind for her.  One was rather similar to her retired dog, and
the other was quite different, including being rather a handful to handle.
 The trainers were leaning towards the quieter dog, but she chose the
handful.  It seems to be working out well.
Tracy