[nagdu] FIDELCO ownership rights and other things.

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 3 21:32:21 UTC 2011

Brenda, et al.,

I will say as someone who has attempted to advocate for herself and to find
advocacy regarding abuses -- which also appear to be a pattern -- in another
system, even people who are willing to mention that something happened to
them on a list or something are less than eager to come forward or join in a
collective effort against the abusers or anything like that.  Probably
because it does not take long to discover that as a blind person, you are de
facto considered to be worthless as a witness.  All the organization has to
say is that they did everything just right, and there you have it.  For
some, the loss of perceived credibility can carry over to doing all those
things like contacting the news and making a big fuss in other ways...
Which is why in my own case, my personal decision has long been to just do
what I need to do for myself to get back to health and work, because that
will increase my perceived credibility there.  Also, I have a plan to get
some video to go with other forms of evidence...  Which are on paper, so not
nearly exciting enough to be worth reading when the organization says they
did everything right while implying that I am nuts, while of course piously
insisting they can't say anything about my case because of confidentiality.
/lol/  Some of that paper evidence I mentioned is their documentation of
their own violations of HIPAA.   Which, I discovered on further
investigation, includes no recourse whatsoever and has a super short statute
just to file a complaint that starts running when the violation occurs, not
when you actually learn that there is something to file a complaint about.
Ain't that a hoot!

Anyway, I understand people's concerns with bringing the matter into the
public eye with little in the way of detail and names in the description of
the concern we are dealing with as an advocacy agency.  However, there is a
point where that can be a large part of the advocacy process, especially
when it does involve a pattern, because others can come forward who were
disinclined to before if they see there's someone with some clout who might
be able to do something about it...  This often happens in cases where
serial rapists end up finally being charged and convicted.  Another case in
which being the one to come forward and say enough is enough and this really
did happen to me is a good way to get yourself thoroughly brutalized with
little chance of getting justice.  Sigh.

So, the lack of detail of third parties beyond the really basic facts as he
has been able to determine is appropriate in this context.  True, it leaves
the rest of us to trust Marion's judgment in making the decision to bring it
to the list.  As well as that of the other officers, assuming that he used
the good judgment to include them in the corporate decision-making process.
Which is why we elected them to do that.  Theoretically, at least.  /smile/

I guess what I'm trying to say that I, for myself in my own little corner of
the world, have seen enough in this current group of official leaders to be
willing to grant them my trust in this very delicate and controversial
matter.  I trust that they have done their respective homework, gathered
sufficient information to consider their action, weighed pros and cons and
options and whatever else it is that they do before deciding upon and
following through on the current course of action, including making the case
public and naming the school and an individual.  Doing so in their official
capacity.  Which is all what I want them to do if it credibly appears given
the information they have that there is a pattern of injustice and
mistreatment that requires our advocacy.

I have noticed that the leadership has been almost completely quiet during
the ensuing discussions, unless they needed to step in for some reason,
leaving the rest of us free to discuss, disagree, argue, emote, whatever.
Which we can do to our hearts' content, since our words don't carry official
weight.  What we say is important and can lead to the development of an
official position, but we as peons are not stating official NAGDU policy
just by running off our fingers.  /smile/

That being said, if I do find that my trust in this one has been misplaced,
with enough evidence to be sure that's what happened, then I can vote
differently next time, right?  Or even find another candidate to back or ...
Even leave in disgust if I want to and feel it's not worth my while to
remain in the organization...  Whatever, I will have the option to decide
what to do if I see that I've mistakenly and even passively joined a witch
hunt.

For now, I'm willing to trust that there is a legitimate issue there and
wait to find out more as the case progresses, which seems to me to suit my
role as peon.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney