[nagdu] forgetting how to use white cane

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 4 23:54:03 UTC 2011

Sandra,

Oh, yes it does!  Suddenly it's a whole new world out there.  /smile/

Actually, I have found that the difference in the environment is what makes
the transition from dog to cane or vice versa challenging.  It's not so much
the skills one seems to forget as it is how to use them in a suddenly weird
and confusing world.  It's almost like your brain has to adjust to the
difference in perception and navigation and orientation while you're out
walking around doing the stuff you just normally do anyway...  /lol/  Only
suddenly it's kinda difficult in a really odd way.  I do not want to know
what it is like to have to make the switch suddenly and involuntarily
because something bad just happened to your dog.  Which is not to say I
never will, but I would rather not.  Even doing so between dogs, which is
inevitable, will be emotionally very difficult, I think, because the cane
itself would tie in to the loss of the dog in my own mind.  I hope for
another 5 years at least before I find out, and I know that's an experience
we all here share or will share.

Just around in my day to day whatever, I tend not to be terribly rigid about
which tool I use -- the 4 legs or the 1 -- when doing spontaneous little
running around activities.  Especially when we're working several activities
into grooming day.  /lol/  So I run around hither and yon with my guide dog,
strip off the harness and grab the cane to take her into the groomer's, then
come out with only the cane to do other stuff...  Then do the same in
reverse three or four hours later, put the harness on her in the car to go
into the restaurant for dinner...  The minor adjustments with all the back
and forth are humorous, and we're all used to them and just snicker and go
on, and I barely notice that I'm feeling a certain amount of ongoing
confusion about the world in general.

Then we get home, and I walk through the door ...  And forget how to walk to
my room to put away my coat and purse.  /lol/  Happens every time.  I spend
the rest of the evening -- and sometimes it last into the next day --
spending most of my time standing frozen wonder where in the heck I am and
what I'm supposed do if I ever manage to figure it out.  Well, not most of
my time, but some of it.  We're all used to it around here, so more
snickering and jokes at my expense.  Some of the by me, of course.  It *is*
pretty absurd.  Frustrating as heck until I get myself sorted out again, but
pretty funny, too.

Tami Smith-Kinney