[nagdu] Going out during training

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Fri Feb 11 14:00:50 UTC 2011

One thing to consider in this discussion is that regardless of whether one
receives home training, a combination of school-based and home-based
training or training exclusively at the school facility, the school owns
that dog until it deems you have finished training. Just as you can dictate
what happens with a dog once you legally own it, so the school can dictate
what happens with it prior to that change of ownership. You can't have it
both ways.

Now, it can be argued, if one does so sensibly, that people who receive home
training do work their dogs without any supervision, outside of scheduled
training times, often even when not advised to do so. Often though, doing so
is part of the home training. Why there and not at the school? One simple
reason. During a home portion of training you, the handler, are in familiar
areas to you and I would hope, by virtue of being qualified for training,
that you know your way around these areas fairly well.

I've done combination training twice now and both times I've gone out after
our training. In both cases I worked the dog over routes we had done during
the training day or places we had been during the training thus far. I did
not try anything I hadn't yet done with the dog because, as I said in an
earlier post on this subject, it takes me a while to read a new dog.

Once I had done so though with input from the instructor to check myself, I
felt comfortable doing whatever it was solo.

Yes, the idea of being able to go out on independent trips, either as part
of training itself, say during a daylong lesson or after training, is great
in theory. It could even work in practice but yes, there are factors when
working with groups of people that make this difficult to manage.

What if I think I'm doing perfectly fine with my dog, yet the instructors
don't agree, and have communicated that to me, hopefully giving me things to
work on to improve our teamwork. Several of my fellow classmates are given
the opportunity to go out by themselves with their dogs toward the end of
training but I am not. I'm angry, embarrassed, and yes, complain loudly and
threaten to sue everyone in sight, playing every card in my hand.

Don't laugh. It's happened for lesser infractions.

Jenine Stanley

jeninems at wowway.com