[nagdu] Taking Dog to Surgery Center

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Fri Feb 11 18:18:14 UTC 2011

Hello again everyone,

    I'm not sure if I mentioned it previously but my wife Mary needed
surgery on her right knee to repair a torn meniscus. The operation was
performed this past Wednesday one of the coldest days of this winter in
South Texas. Johnny was just as much a hit at the surgery center as was
Cindy's dog at the hospice. Once the intake papers were signed and a payment
glitch surmounted we were lead in to the pre-op area. Johnny lay quietly
while Mary was prepped for surgery. Many of the nurses and Mary's
anesthesiologist wanted to say hello to Johnny. We stayed with Mary until
she was taken in to the operating room.

    The operation went without a hitch. It was done quicker than I expected.
The doctor repaired the meniscus and removed some inflamed tissue a source
of arthritis in that knee. Before long Johnny and I were escorted in to the
recovery room to be by Mary's side. She was awake and alert and was still on
all of the monitoring equipment. Just as in preop the recovery room
personnel loved Johnny. I asked if they had many patients with service
animals come through. They told me that Johnny was the only guide dog they
had seen for quite a long while. I didn't expect to be allowed to stay with
Mary in these areas but wasn't going to make an issue of it unless the
surgery center staff did.

    It's been two days since Mary's surgery and she is doing well. So far
today she has not had to use the walker she was given to help her walk
immediately after surgery. This morning she fixed her own breakfast and is
doing very well. We're going to tackle getting up and down stairs later
today. Since the doctor told her not to do any climbing for the first few
days we've been camping out in our living room the past two nights. Provided
Mary's stair-climbing goes well and she feels she can do it again later on
we could be sleeping back in our own bed. Her knee is all ready feeling much
better than it did prior to the surgery. Please keep her in your prayers and
thoughts.

Peter Donahue