[nagdu] Is Being a "Good Handler" Enough?

Lisa belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Fri Feb 11 18:29:20 UTC 2011

Brian, I find it interesting that the majority of the comments side with CCi

Most of them are taking the tack that this guy got a fifty thousand dollar
dog for free, and his only obligation was to use the dog properly and make
sure it was kept safe from harm.  Letting even a well-trained dog run around
off leash is probably not the way to keep an animal safe, even if the
handler and the dog are familiar with the environment.

it's one thing to use poor judgment and suffer the consequences.  It's a
completely different issue to continue to let a dog run off leash and then
try to be a victim when the dog is removed under a contract where terms of
said removal were clearly spelled out..  this guy shouldn't be handled with
kid gloves simply because he has a disability and uses a service dog.

Doesn't this come down to the informed choice issue again?  letting a dog
run off leash repeatedly isn't even one of those emotionally-charged issues
we've debated on here.  It was spelled out that this shouldn't happen, and
this guy let it happen not just once, but several times.

If you're getting something for free, what's the problem with making sure
the product, or in this case, a living being, is being taken care of.
What's sad is CCI has to put this in their contract.  It's like putting
warnings about using a hair dryer in the shower.  People are inattentive and
litigeous, so organizations need to protect themselves because it can't be
assumed anymore that people know better.

So, if those blind people wanting ownership really want ownership, they
should have to pay the majority of the cost of training the dog and
themselves.  If dogs are just turned over to people upon the completion of
training and there's no fee or contract between the school and the
individual, then this is asking for an entitlement that is really above and
beyond what is deserved, especially if there are no stipulations in place to
be sure the person being granted ownership cares for and uses the dog
properly.

I'm not sure how someone following the Federation Philosophy can justify
this.

Lisa

IF THE HOUSEWORK IS DONE - THEN THE COMPUTER IS Broken!
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217 at frontier.com