[nagdu] Is Being a "Good Handler" Enough?

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Fri Feb 11 18:54:51 UTC 2011

I think those wanting ownership are concerned with the treatment we might
get as blind clients of agencies, the  guide dog schools.
As you may be aware, agencies of all types have been more than a bit
custodial to the blind in the past.
I sometimes question how NFB philosophy can be used, but the basic premise
is sound, that  social attitudes toward blind people in large part determine
how we are treated. False concepts about the blind and our capabilities can
lead to that as well.
In a contract with a school, I don't really see that you as a consumer have
much in the way of  rights  , and the school can try to repossess a dog with
no judge or jury.
That's why I'm in favor of complete unfettered ownership.;

I'm not so sure I'm going to jump on the CCI bandwagon either, I don't have
all the facts, and usually I am more sympathetic to the consumer than to an
agency.

I don't feel the consumer's point of view was expressed well at all in that
article, except that part saying how he was holding the doggie and sobbing,
something which illustrates to me his deep bond with the hound.

CCI reps  saying, if the quote is accurate,  that they could call the police
if it would make it easier is a veiled threat in my judgment.
We Federationis talk the big talk about fighting the agencies, but every
time something like this comes up in regard to service animals all of our
friends on the list are so quick to jump to defend service providers  and to
cast some type of implied aspersions on the handler.  I love dogs more than
I can say, but I also am interested in blind peoples' rights and I don't
consider a dog, as much as I am crazy about them, necessarily any more in
need of protection than a badly treated consumer.

If abuse happens, it needs to be dealt with and harshly by agencies such as
animal control whose job it is  explicitly to do so.

Just an alternate approach, my friends.
 I don't have time right this minute to expand on the subject but I'm sure I
will later--smile.

Cordially,

Dan W. and the Carter Nut