[nagdu] renting homes or apartments:

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Feb 20 21:22:30 UTC 2011

I have always brought my guide dog with me when I apartment hunted. The ADA
covers larger apartment buildings that are usually managed by a company. I
never rented from an individual with a couple of apartments or a single
family house.  These are usually NOT covered by ADA.

Personally, if I was not treated respectfully by an owner because of my
blindness or my dog, I wouldn't rent from them at all.  there are plenty of
other places to rent from.

I lived in Boston and never had a problem with a guide dog in an apartment.
Me and my dog have always been welcome in every single place I've rented
from in my life!  Hope this track record keeps up! I've rented places sinse
1972.

Guess I'm lucky!  Good luck. I find that upfront and honesty are the best
way to be.  People don't like deception and it tends to start you off on a
sour note to a landlord - or to anybody.  People who know me know that I'm
an upfront, honest person.  I'm a responsible dog owner and my dogs are
clean and well behaved in public - and at home. (grin!)

Lyn and Landon