[nagdu] Cost of owning a guide dog

Julie J julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Feb 21 00:00:00 UTC 2011

Phil,

My best answer is...it depends.  It's hard to pin down an exact amount I
spend monthly or yearly because there are so many variables. Here's my best
guess at your individual questions.

> About how much can I expect the cost to increase as a dog gets bigger >
> (eat more?) and older (more vet visits?)
*> The cost you incur on food won't really change over the lifetime of the
dog since all the programs will be matching you with an adult dog.   Whether
or not you spend a lot on vet visits totally depends on the individual
health of the dog.  I wish I knew of some way to predict health and
longevity, but I don't.*

> In particular, how much do you spend each month (or each year on the
> following)?
> Food  *approx. $600 per year I have a very large dog who cannot tolerate
> corn, wheat or soy*
> Treats *I only buy treats every now and then, maybe $20 per year.
> Typically I use regular dog food or find something appropriate from the
> refridgerator.*
> Snacks *I don't really do snacks*
> regular Vet visit*approx. $30 per year, but I live in a very rural
> environment.  My vet is super cheap compared to what you'd experience in a
> large city.*
> Major medical expense*Absolutely no way to know in advance.*
> supplies*I've had dogs for all of my life.  Many of the supplies I have
> like brushes etc.  I've had for ages.  None of them were very expensive,
> except for the Furminator.  You could buy all the brushes and combs you'd
> need for under $20.  I think the dishes I have cost something like $7 or
> so.*
> Kennel*Again I have a very large dog, 27 inches tall.  There aren't a lot
> to choose from when you get to that size.  I have a VariKennel which was
> about $100.*
> license*Spayed or neutered dogs are $5 here, which I do pay.  Technically
> speaking a fee cannot be charged to you because of your choice of mobility
> tool.  Your experience in getting local authorities to understand this may
> vary.*
> Toy*my dogs are spoiled in the toy department.  They have an entire bin
> full of them.  I try to pick super durable toys that will last a long
> while though.  I'd say the current toy selection probably cost me around
> $100, but they weren't purchased all at once and they obviously don't need
> all of those toys.  I like King Wholesale for toys.  They are about half
> the price of Petsmart or Petco.*
>
> Do you visit any dog/pet website?
*Yes, many.  I like King Wholesale for toys, supplies, grooming needs etc.*

Do you get your dog food/supplies
> online or at a store?
> *Generally online.  Again I live in a very, very small town.  There is no
> pet store here.  I feed Flint River Ranch dog food to both of my dogs.
> it's only available on line and delivered to your front door.*
> Thanks very much for your help!
*No problem.  I did want to mention that most/all of the guide dog programs
will provide you with a couple of toys, a mat or crate, leash, collar,
harness, food bowl, brush and probably other stuff I'm forgetting at the
moment.  the two major expenses are food and vet bills.  Some of the
programs will provide a yearly stipend or  assistance with unforseen vet
costs.  If you live close enough to the school I think most of them will
allow you to take your dog there for vet visits free of charge.*

Julie