[nagdu] Cost of owning a guide dog

Steven Johnson blinddog3 at charter.net
Tue Feb 22 01:04:20 UTC 2011

Phil,
Your best source for this information is found in the Social Security
Redbook on Work Incentives.  This information I have cut and paste into this
message that highlights the basics of what I had mentioned.  If you want
more information, go to www.ssa.gov/redbook

How SGA is Applied under SSDI to Persons Who Are Blind

How do we determine SGA for blind SSDI beneficiaries who work? For the year
2011, if you are blind, average monthly earnings over $1,640 will ordinarily
demonstrate that you are performing SGA. This is higher than the current
guideline for non-blind disabled workers.  We generally change the SGA level
for beneficiaries who are blind every year to reflect changes in general
wage levels.

REMINDER:If you are blind, you may use any or all of the deductions from
earnings that apply to the SGA decision.

How is SGA applied to blind SSDI beneficiaries who are self-employed?

 We decide the SGA of self-employed persons who are blind solely on their
earnings. We do not look at time spent in the business or services rendered
as we do for non-blind self-employed persons.

How do we determine SGA for SSDI beneficiaries who are blind and age 55 or
older?

 Special rules apply after your 55th birthday. If your earnings demonstrate
SGA but your work requires a lower level of skill and ability than the work
you did before age 55 or when you became blind, whichever is later, we will
suspend, not terminate, your benefits. Your eligibility for SSDI benefits
continues indefinitely, and we pay your benefits for any month earnings fall
below SGA.

Does SGA apply to individuals who are blind under SSI?

 No. If you meet the medical definition of blindness, we do not use SGA as a
factor to determine your SSI eligibility. Your SSI eligibility continues
until you medically recover, or we end your eligibility because of a
non-disability-related reason. See the section on Earned Income Exclusion
for an explanation of how we figure your SSI payment amount.

Top of Page

----
Blind Work Expenses (BWE) - SSI Eligible

How do BWE help you? We do not count any earned income that you use to meet
expenses that you need to earn that income in deciding your SSI eligibility
and your payment amount. To qualify you must be eligible for SSI based on
blindness.

The BWE items do not have to be related to your blindness. When we figure
your SSI payment amount, we treat items as BWE instead of IRWE. We do it
this way because it always results in a higher SSI payment amount for you.
The table below shows how your monthly payment would be affected by BWE
versus IRWE.

Examples of BWE Service animal expenses
Transportation to and from work
Federal, state, and local income taxes