[nagdu] Muslim cab drivers: not a slam on their beliefs

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 21 19:59:22 UTC 2011

Lyn,

Exactly!  We're responsible for ourselves and our dogs while we are taking
advantage of our rights under the laws of this country.  Others are
responsible for ensuring that they are following their beliefs while taking
advantage of their rights under the laws of this country.

If I am handling my dog responsibly, she is not touching people.  If someone
wishes, then, to avoid physical contact with my dog, they are free to do so
by not brushing against her while she's passing them.

When it comes to taxicabs, the drivers are responsible for figuring out how
to practice their beliefs without breaking the law and violating my civil
rights.  I am responsible for handling my dog properly so that she does not
have a negative impact on their property -- the cab -- or business or
persons, which means that she will not be touching them.

I have enough to take up my time and attention navigating around places of
public accommodation or managing myself and my stuff and my dog in a taxicab
without taking it upon myself to manage the special requirements and quirks
of others.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney