[nagdu] Muslim cab drivers: not a slam on their beliefs

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 22 16:25:41 UTC 2011

Lisa,

This makes sense.  Goodwill goes a long way.  I have my 'tude, and there is
only so far I will go there, but it always helps to demonstrate in some way
that one is willing to bridge cultural gaps.

Hm...  I did the car training for my pup in cabs, and the first one she
puked in was driven by an Iranian gentleman.  She timed it just as we were
pulling into our street to be dropped off at our apartment with our
neighbor's daughter, who thought it was all very funny.

The cab driver was not amused, and he appeared to be quite upset over the
need to clean the cab fully which would cost him the rest of the day's
business.  He wasn't rude or obnoxious abou it, just bemoaning to himself.
My neighbor and I flurried about cleaning up the quite impressive mess,
spraying this and that, getting every last bit, but he still seemed to be
planning to spend the rest of the day cleansing the cab.  He did not mention
the company's "drunk charge" for such messes, though, so I remained unaware
of it.  I threw every last bit of cash I had on me to him to help, although
it wasn't much.  My neighbor apparently threw her last cash to him, too, so
that helped.

So I figured I would never ride with that guy again.  Only a couple of weeks
later, my young pup and I were out exploring a bit beyond our usual
boundaries and for some reason ended up having to call a cab for rescue
without being able to give an accurate location.  Sigh.

Guess who was driving!  He showed up in a flash, greeted us like old
friends, told me he had taken the call from someone else because he was
close by and he remembered me and my dog and so on and so forth.  We had a
very happy and chatty ride home, minus the need for cleaning up (whew!).

He'd told me on the first ride that he immigrated from Iran in the 70's, so
it is possible he is not Muslim.  But it was clear that the doggy deposit in
the cab at the end was very distressing.  Still, we've ridden with him
since, and it has always been a very pleasant experience.  I do get the
impression he is happy that I've got some car manners impressed upon the
wriggly curly one.  /smile/

So you just never know.  I have had drivers from another cab company who did
appear to be middle eastern who were less than enthused about the dog and
who wanted to keep a close eye on her at all times, lest she get up to
something.  But they have not been rude or refused us service.  So it just
goes to show you, I guess.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney