[nagdu] Getting a urine sample

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 24 19:41:21 UTC 2011

Hmm...  I give up.  /smile/  Actually, I gave up a couple of years or so
ago, because I was getting the same results you are -- more on me and my
clothes than in the container.  Yuck!

We also tried having the vet tech follow us patiently around outside the
office, but Mitzi was no way no how going to produce if some fool kept
trying to shove a container in the way!  She was shocked and offended.

So my current vet and I have just decided to go straight for a sterile
sample, since we were looking for bacteria then.  I think we did that even
in our last yearly exam.  It involves inserting a needle through the abdomen
into the bladder to withdraw the urine.  This causes DD -- aka The Tough Guy
-- all manner of pain and distress.  /smile/  Mitzi is not a fan of the
procedure, but she does very well and appears to have no lasting effects,
judging by the way she bounces with joy once it's over.  /smile/

The vet techs could live without this cowgirl's insistence on being present
and handling the dog myself to get her down and on her back, but...  That's
one of my own stupid rules that I will not break.  My pup was pretty young
still when we started doing that, and I was adamant about fostering and
developing that wonderful but delicate temperament of hers.  I'm not nearly
so overprotective these days, since she's a grown up, but I still prefer to
be present and involved in the vet visits whenever possible.  They're afraid
I'm going to hover and cry, but I think I have them convinced by now that I
can deal and won't upset the dog by being upset...  /smile/

Anyway, good luck!  Hope Bennie is well and full of only good stuff.

Tami Smith-Kinney