[nagdu] Hold the med. community more accountable-- therapy andemotional support animals - leaping lizzards

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Feb 27 18:40:29 UTC 2011

I remember when I lived in Boston in the 1970s, we went to a Watertown
restaurant and the waitress was going to deny me access with my dog.  She
said, "The last time we had one of those [guide dog], it stunk so bad and we
asked them to leave."  I said that I wasn't that person and dog and my dog
was clean and wwell behaved.  this was before the ADA and we just had state
laws t protect our access.  the waitress let us in and there was no more
problem.

Yes, we all get judged based on what someone else does.  Don'tcha know that
we are all the same person regardless of race, gender, size.  Someone is a
jerk and thus ALL blind people must be jerks.  I hate that and I make sure
I'm not that person to make someone be negative towards another blind
person.

I think that along with our rights, there's our RESPONSITBILITY to make sure
our dogs are clean, healthy, quiet, and wwell behaved.  Our dogs are
supposed to be somewhat unobtrusive in public places.  So many people are so
surprised when I get up from a table in a restaurant and they see the dog
and they exclaim, "I didn't know a dog was under there!!!"  And they comment
on his good behavior and looks!

I think that woman was totally wrong to bring an elderly, obviously ill, dog
to that grooup.  It stunk because it was unwell. In one of my groups, one of
the guys brings his little Chihuahua to the meetings sometimes.  that little
dog runs around the table greeting everyone.  But that dog is a real joy
because she's so cute and quiet.  She is even good with Landon and he wishes
he can come up on the table to join litle Lilly who I dubbed Miss Piggy
because she is all white with a little pink pig nose!  So cute.  All of us
enjoy this little dog's visits.

After Lilly's visits, she curls up in her owner's arms and snoozes for the
rest of the meeting.  And Landon snoozes and dreams under the table at my
feet.

Lyn and Landon