[nagdu] Information about parvo on GDB's California campus

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Jan 7 18:41:57 UTC 2011

I just got this message from GDB's alumni association, and thought I'd
pass it along, for those interested.
Tracy

Please see the message below from acting CEO Morgan Watkins for more
information on this situation.

***

On Thursday, December 30, a few of our puppies in the San Rafael kennel
became suddenly quite ill. A rapid diagnosis of Canine Parvo Virus was
made and concerted efforts were initiated to offer the best medical help
available and to isolate potentially infected dogs. Dr. Jeff Williams and
all his team, along with Kathy Fenger and her kennel support staff, went
immediately into high gear. Other staff and volunteers made themselves
available to assist. Because of their carefully coordinated efforts, we
have managed to catch the illness quickly in newly affected dogs and have
transferred the more critically ill pups to local emergency care
facilities. Using these outside facilities to help keep the sick puppies
isolated from our healthier dogs has been essential and the pups are
receiving excellent care.

Parvo is a very dangerous disease that can spread rapidly through a canine
population. In order to keep our dogs healthy, we always keep their
vaccinations up to date, including the ones that protect against Parvo.
However, there is a small window of opportunity for this virus. From the
time that puppies are old enough for their first Parvo vaccination until
they are fully immunized against the disease at 16 weeks, there is a
chance that a puppy exposed to the disease could become very ill. It is
why we are so careful with our puppies and why we advise our puppy raisers
to keep their charges away from other dogs during this vulnerable time.

Over the last week, approximately 30 dogs have shown symptoms and some are
in critical condition. Five puppies have not survived. And, we know of two
puppies in raisers' homes that have also fallen ill with Parvo. No adult
dogs have been affected and dog training and student classes are going
forward as scheduled.

Understandably, we need to monitor our kennel operations even more
carefully until we feel confident that we are past this outbreak. We need
people to avoid going to the San Rafael kennel unless prior arrangements
have been made. Although properly vaccinated adult dogs should not be at
significant risk from Parvo, we have asked staff and volunteers to leave
their non-working dogs at home.

Thank you very much for your assistance as we manage the Parvo outbreak.
We will keep you posted.

Morgan Watkins

To unsubscribe from all future email, paste the following URL into your
browser:
http://www.guidedogs.com/site/CO?i=TDBdoEF8cp5GznoFRQZNhlLA_Ce5ZHi5&cid=0