[nagdu] Access problems in San Diego

Owens, Parker Parker.Owens at EKU.EDU
Wed Jan 12 19:36:52 UTC 2011

I'm not really sure, but I believe at this point you have to contact a lawyer and sue.

From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Lyn Gwizdak
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:50 PM
To: NFBnet NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Subject: [nagdu] Access problems in San Diego

Marion,
Below is a response my friend, Lisa, got from the police here when she asked them what recourse we had in response to an access denial in a business here.

She emailed the officer on my behalf after I told her about an incident of denial of access in this guy's business because of my guide dog. the guy appeared to be Arab by his accent and he didn't care if he was violating the law - NO DOG.  I called my City Councilmember.  they gave me the number for San Diego Disability coordinator's office.  they said they only intervene if the access denial happened in a City owned building or office.  they told me to go to the State AG office.  They were no help either - no real person to talk to and no way to get one.  I called the State CCB office and got someone from their guide dog grooup.  they told me to talk to our police department.  And this below is their response to the incident.

"the situation you described is not criminal and that is what the Police Department deals with, Criminal matters.  What your friend is experiencing is a Civil matter.  I attached some basic laws that your friend with the Guide Dog should know or have been told.  These are very common laws that even businesses should be aware of.  There is a number at the bottom you can call for more help.  Good luck!

Luis A. Roman
"Louie"
Community Liaison Officer (820s) & Facilities
Mid-City Division, San Diego Police Dept.
4310 Landis Street, MS-785
San Diego, CA. 92105
Desk: (619) 516-3038
Fax:   (619) 516-3058
lroman at pd.sandiego.gov<mailto:lroman at pd.sandiego.gov> "

This officer then attached a copy of a "Question and Answer" thing from the ADA.

My question is how to enforce the law here????  The incident occured in early December while I was downtown before an appointment.  The store owner now thinks it's OK to keep service dogs out and that it is OK to do as he pleases in regards to obeying the laws of this country.

Any California listers who read this - what do you recommend I do?

Lyn and Landon

619-405-5554