[nagdu] Using a guide dog in a gym

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Jan 25 16:08:25 UTC 2011

Hi Rick!
I go to a gym with my dog.  There happens to be an out-of-the-way corner,
about 15 feet from the machines, where I can put him at rest.  I loop his
leash over the doorknob there, but really he doesn't move.  I've taught
him that, when I put my coat on the floor, he should curl up on it and
stay there.  All that requires is taking a coat I don't mind putting on
the floor.
Sometimes people talk to him, but they understand he's a service dog, and
mostly they leave him alone.
My gym is not particularly noisy, and I am never far away, so, if there
were a problem, I should be able to notice it and get back to Ben very
quickly.  In about 4 years, I've never had to go racing over.

We also use the coat on the floor method during our dance class.  I tie
Ben to a large object in that gym, but usually he doesn't move.  In dance
class, people do sometimes pat him and get him excited, and I have to go
over and get him re-settled, and ask the people not to do it again.
Mostly they listen.
HTH.
Tracy