[nagdu] guide dog policy at convention NFB anti dog?

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Fri Jul 1 19:06:00 UTC 2011

What was on that t-shirt that was anti dog?  Just curious.

I went to the NFB convention in 2001 in Philadelphia and had my previous
guide dog.  I didn't run into any particular thing that I'd say was anti
dog.  Some individuals grumbled about dogs near them and some guide dog
users grumbled about the canes whacking us or tripping us because the cane
user didn't "choke up" in a crowd - they used their canes full out like in
an uncrowded place.

I think I see more things that could be anti dog in the rehab centers but
not really in the organization per se.  I've heard the NFB rehab centers
can't be beat in their teaching cane skills.  In the past, there was alot of
anti dog stuff - the Braille Monitor of October 1995.  But most of the NFB
leadership has changed on that as they seem to have lightened up on their
anti audible signal stance they had a number or years ago.

At that same convention in 2001, there were local guide dog puppy raisers
who volunteered to dog sit during certain activities and the banquet.  I
made use of this service for my dog during the banquet as the seating is so
jammed close at the tables it was nice to just fold up a cane and have foot
room.  Whatever happened to this service?  Did the NFB or NAGDU try to get
volunteers do dog sit and just never find anyone to volunteer?

I liked that idea of having somethong like the childcare for the dogs so
peoplle could leave their dogs in a safe, supervised space so the owners
coould go do something that wasn't as dog friendly - like the tours during
ripping hot weather.  Do you think the schools who come to convention woould
have anyone to do this?  These are thoughts I have that might help solve the
problem of dogs left in rooms alone.

And Marion, that was terrible aboout those people letting their dogs run in
the hallways and then cussing you out when you intervened - no excuse and
they should have been asked to leave after one warning.

All I know is this:  the problem behavior with the dogs has to stop or the
NFB will have a hard time in getting a convention site or the nice rates for
the rooms - they're cheaper than what the ACB gets for their convention.
Perhaps the NAGDU and the NFB boards could get together and create a policy
that everyone could stomach.  I'd like to see this and thus end the
complaints when Marion reminds everyone of the rules each year before
convention.

Have fun everyone!

Lyn and Landon