[nagdu] Some Perspective on the Policy

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Sat Jul 2 12:40:37 UTC 2011

Actually, Marion,

ACB and GDUI went in together to pay for the relief area but that was a
separate issue from dogs left in rooms. GDUI refused to become the guide dog
police and has stated that it feels this is a function of the hotel to be
exercised toward any guest, regardless of which conference he or she is
with. That position has been maintained, even when a miniature horse caused
some issues a couple years back in the exhibit hall. GDUI's position was
that ACB could bar the animal from that venue and the hotel could do so from
its premises but GDUI wasn't going to be the organization assigned to police
it.

GDUI and ACB tell people every year that if their dogs are disruptive, the
hotel has the right to force them to leave, and if their dogs do damages,
they are responsible for paying. GDUI and ACB have also instituted a fee for
accidents. If you stay with an accident, report it and take responsibility,
for it, you will not be charged but if there's proof you left a mess, you
pay for its cleanup, around $50 per mess. This has significantly lessened
the number of accidents people just walk away from.
It's been my experience organizing conventions that the hotels are very
reluctant to get involved with service animal issues and want someone else
to do their dirty work for them. Even when several dogs repeatedly attacked
other guides, GDUI could not get ACB or the hotel to bar the dogs from
locations or events. Both entities asked GDUI to do it. I was president then
and said that we didn't have the authority to do so and advised those whose
dogs had been attacked to file police reports and handle it with the
individual handlers. Most chose not to do so, which mystifies me to this
day.

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com