[nagdu] guide dog users with seizures

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Wed Jul 6 17:09:49 UTC 2011

Hi Bibi,
I have a family member and a friend with seizure disorder.  Both are pretty
well controlled with medication and keeping their stress level as low as
possible.

My friend has a guide dog as well and does really well.  Her dogs learn to
recognise when she is about to have a seizure.  When you are about to have
one, your chemistry changes and the dog can smell that.  they learn that
when they smell a certain oder from you, something bad happens and they get
protective.  My friend''s dog would try to prevent her from moving if they
are out on the street.  Having a dog is very doable for you.

It's a real drag when people freak out from someone's seizure.  Not me, I'm
used to seeing them and I just go and sit with the person and make sure they
are safe until they come out of it.  I've turned the person on their side as
well.

Lyn and Landon