[nagdu] leaving your dog alone

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 12 22:34:30 UTC 2011

Hi:

I've learned that Bogart is pretty good at staying alone. Last summer I'd had him for about 2 months when my girlfriend went away for 2 weeks. I had left him alone for short periods with no issues so he seemed fine for the about 5 hours I was out to see some bands.

The only time he had a problem was once when Susan and I went out to look at an apartment and thought it best to not introduce the dog issue before we even decided if we were interested. We got out side and could hear him howling from the back alley. I went back up and sort of got in his face and said enough. I got him to his bed and told him to stay. Of course, he didn't stay as I was leaving but he got that he wasn't forgotten. Saturdays we often take him out to the dog park or for long walks at least so he wasn't happy about being left behind. The other time was when I was in Germany and left him with Susan. For the one weekday I was away, she came home from work to take him out. I didn't think that was necessary and when she brought him back and then had to  leave again he did the howling thing again. She went back did the same thing as before and he was fine. In that case I think he would have been better just to have been left alone for longer rather than her coming home and he being disappointed with her leaving yet one more time.

I've learned that it is important that I tell him as we are getting ready that he is gong to stay home or stay with susan if I have to go out without him. He seems to understand in some way what we are saying so is less upset.

Yesterday I went out for a bike ride and came home. We played a bit but then I had to head out to a jazz jam and it broke my little heart as he gave a little whine as he realized what was happening. Our little guys certainly have a direct route to our hearts don't they?

Anyway, I think it is important to be able to leave your dog at home alone for a good amount of time just so you have the option. I Also agree to start in stages. I left him alone while I went and got the mail, or went to the storage room, getting the laundry. Once I was sure that was fine then it was running to the store or out to get a bottle of wine. :) Once that was good it was going out for supper close by and then it ended up with me going out to see some bands last summer when Susan was away.

He seems pretty good and we haven't heard him howling or had any negative reports from the neighbours so I think my way has worked for Bogart.

Gary