[nagdu] leaving your dog alone

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 14 21:41:47 UTC 2011

Gary,

Ah, the poodle howl. I find Mitzi's quite lovely, but one can't always
vouch for the neighbors sharing one's taste in howling dogs. /lol/ Mitzi
has an absolute talent for the little whine and a variety of piteous,
broken-hearted yips to send after me just to make sure I understand how
terribly I have caused her such pain as to step outside the
door... /lol/ I had to work up to leaving her for any time at all by
herself before she was socialized enough to go with  me to more and more
places. Actually, I would use grounding as negative reinforcement, and
that actually worked. Who knew? /lol/

She does much better if I tell her to stay and make sure to let her know
where I'm going and why she needs to stay behind, etc., etc. Just taking
off without her is a serious infraction of the rules and is not allowed!
It had better be a good reason, too, or I am not off the hook! Funny
dog, my poodle. I don't leave her alone at home with no humans present,
because we just can't be that sure of Daisy. We're just not willing to
take the risk that something might happen to set off her anxiety and
cause her to redline, so Mitzi just doesn't stay home with her without
supervision. Just in case. I'm glad to feel perfectly comfortable
leaving her with DD, whom she adores, but... He assures me that if I
want to go off and leave her for so long as 15 minutes to half an hour
that she will drive him nuts. Huh. The couple of times I've done that,
she has apparently paced and sighed and whined , which is all very
heart-rending to him, so then he gets her quited down and tries to relax
and watch TV, so she starts all over again.  /smile/ Ah, well. I so
rarely have a reason even to consider leaving her with him that it'snot
a huge trial to me. Also, frankly, I like having my dog with me enough
that there are an extremely limited number of conditions that cause me
to think about it ever. Mostly heat-related in the summer because of her
black coat and because of the dearth of sidewalks around here which
means too much walking directly on blacktop. Booties do help with
protecting her paws there, but they seem to increase the effects of heat
for her by cutting off one source of air and cooling.  Her coat is just
so super thick that it doesn't let the heat go once it's collected it.
Or am I just too tender-hearted. /lol/

Anyway, I'm glad to know your poodle does better when you take the time
to explain things to him, whatever it is our mysterious curly ones
perceive or understand of the words we're saying. Frankly, based on my
observations of Mitzi poodle, I would not be at all surpried to learn
science had discovered that what she hears and understands when I talk
is only slightly more advanced than what a human does. I really do
wonder what goes on in that brain of hers. Daisy shows a great deal of
understanding of what we say, as well, and to respond to it, especially
ifit  involves  the word "go." /lol/ Even before we make moves to enact
the plan we concoctedover morning coffee, she knows the game is afoot!
Mitz, however, has responded to specifically to random conversation with
strangers for me to discount the possibility that she's getting
something close to a word by word comprehension. You know, I'll be
talking to someone, say at the mall,  and mention that I plan to go
upstairs and hope i remember where the escalator is. THen I'll chat
about other stuff, maybe mention I'm off to Starbuck's first... So then
Mitzi and I part from  whomever it is I was talking to and just kinda go
off to Starbuck's , then I pause to wrack my brain again for the
location of that dratted escalator, then notice I haven't said a word
but am being guided straight from Starbuck's to the escalator since that
is the next step on the itineraray.  I've actually had arguments with my
silly dog over a sudden change in itinerary. Nop! We're going to Plaid
Pantry, then to Meat, then to Wild Oat... Circle K was not on the
itinerary you presented to me, so we're not going there just brecause
you suddenly remembered something you need from them the Plad Pantry
doesn't have. /lol/ She did that a couple of times or more before
finally relenting and agreeing that it wouldn't kill her to allow me to
change my mind every now and then.  I don't get that, really I don't,
but her behavior does indicate that something like that is what is going
on. Very strange.

Tami