[nagdu] Talking and singing to animals

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 17 22:38:34 UTC 2011

Mardi,

Too cool. And I've noticed that with animals of all sorts since I was a
kid. They do too so totally get it! /grin/ Oddly, recent research using
imaging technologies and some other new testing techniques does appear
to be showing that animals, especially those like domestic dogs and cats
which have been associating with us humans for millenia, do have
language centers in their brains for processing the spoken word. They do
not have the vocal apparatus we do in order to form words and sentences
and just yak on all day about stuff, so they don't have those types of
speech centers. But they do understand what we say to them in a way that
was until recently considered to be impossible by anyone who didn't go
by what they could see right in front of them. /grin/

So keep singing and talking! We're always making up goofy songs for our
critters, and the girls and I ahve our favorites when it's time for
sing/dance/play. I feel like a total idiot, but we're all having a lot
of fun, so who cares. I hear Tiki the Chnicilla likes the Hawaii Five-O
theme, which BB sings to him daily. Teehee.

Mitzi, especially, is like your animals. If I give her a proper command,
she pretty much flips me off. If I ask nicely or take time out to
discuss things with her, she's good to go. And, like Shaman, she is the
Queen of Finding Things. "Can you show me the trash?" I'll say absently,
then I follow her to the trash to throw something away. Same with
restroom, elevator, stairs, door,... She can even find products in
grocery stores, if I absent-mindedly wonder aloud where what I'm wanting
might be. Off we go! She always watches the unloading of groceries very
intently, and a couple of times or more when I've asked someone what she
is showing me on a random walk through the grocery ailes, it turns out
to be the brand of toilet paper I used to buy or the brand DD prefers
here. Very odd, but ti's happened enough times I can't just pass it off
as coincidence. Huh. Who knew?

Tami