[nagdu] First Time Guide Dog User

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 18 19:29:37 UTC 2011

Hi Gloria:

I am only a year out from getting my first dog. My best advice is try  not to get too worked up and nervous. It will go  well. There will be some trying times  but not really that many. I think the key is to stay patient. My dog, a poodle, was really one who tested me and people  thought I was extremely patient. I'm sure a few times I felt like throttling Bogart but, of course, I never did. My dogs two things at school was not wanting to sit or lie at the dinner table. It would be one chew, bogart sit down, chew chew, bogart down, chew chew, sit bogart. The other weird thing he did was while on leash in the school, often refuse to walk down the stairs. He would stand on the landing and not move. Although I know now he isn't fond of stairs (will always find the esculator or elevator in the subway rather than the steep stairs) this was just his way of saying screw you, I'm the boss. In reflection it was all pretty funny. He still has a bit of a stubborn streak but is really special, guides well and is a good addition to our family.

Have fun and it will all go wonderfully.

Gary