[nagdu] First Time Guide Dog User

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Wed Jul 20 22:18:34 UTC 2011

Welcome, Gloria.
I'm Lyn and am a long time guide dog user - sinse 1973.  I am working my
eighth dog, Landon from The Seeing Eye.  Landon and I live in San Diego and
are involved in pet assisted therapy with our local Humane Society and our
local military hospital.  We enjoy it very much - and so do the folks we
visit!

Landon is a five year old Lab/Golden cross.

Do you live in CA or Oregon?  I have friends here who have GDB dogs and they
went to the Oregon campus and they loved it.  To prepare, be aware of the
weather and bring rain gear.  Bring good sturdy walking shoes and comfy
clothes.

Everything else, you'll be taught by your instructors - they want you to
suceed with your new dog.  Also be truthful and ask questions no matter how
trivial you think them to be.  Be very clear with your needs in a dog, your
envirnment and lifestyle - they use this info to select the best dog for
you.

Enjoy your time at school and your new dog.  Don't forget, you can always
pick our brains on this list - there are many people from all walks of life
and with all kinds of experience and we're all happy to help if you ask us!

Cheers,

Lyn and Landon