[nagdu] Discrimination

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 21 15:21:30 UTC 2011

Lyn and Gloria,

It seems to me that being prepared for such tings in advance is the best
way to go, so that you're not caught flat-footed when discrimination,
access denials, whatever occur. I've been pretty fortunate thus far and
haven't run into anything I couldn't bare-face my way thorough. But I
always pay close attention to tales of access denial, discrimination,
being asked to put your dog in the trunk of a car... Who would even
think of suggesting that? Oh, apparently, quite a few cabbies all over
the country. So now I have a list of strategies for that, just in case.
So I don't have to lie awake nights worrying about all that and
everything I learn and consider makes me better prepared for whatever
comes up that I've never even imagined to plan for...

Gloria, I think it's way cool seeing you and others before and certainly
after you, considering these questions and others during the
anticipation of going to guide dog school for the first time and meeting
your first dog and learning to be a strong guide dog team with her/him.
You'll have 28 days of intense instruction and practice, while your
instructor does his/her best to teach you everything you'll need to know
to head off into the real world ...  If you can pick up everything you
need to know in that amount of time, please let me know how you did
that. /lol/ You'll come out with a great foundation with your dog for
the team building process of the next months while you build experience
together.

Tami ,