[nagdu] Exercising with Your Dog

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 20:08:38 UTC 2011

Hey Abigail.

I've gone swimming before and taken my dog.  I just do like you
mentioned, hook her leash around the chair and let her be.  It's up to
you whether or not you want to leave the harness on while you are
swimming.  I would take it off, in case you have a friend or someone
who is willing to help you keep an eye on your dog.  If you are
swimming by yourself, I would recommend knowing the pool area very
well and keeping your dog in a spot that is easily accessible from any
place around you.  For me, it's easy to get disoriented in a pool
area.  Also, if you are worried about people petting, and if you know
the life gards at your university, you could ask them if they could
help you keep people away from your dog.  I know it's not within their
job description, but it's not a hard job for someone with vision.  Lol

I have not had a problem with Brie(my dog) trying to get in the water
while I am in it, but I think she's a really messed up labrador
because she doesn't particularly like to swim.  Perhaps bring a friend
or someone you trust with you the first time or two, so that that
person could gage your dog's reaction to you going in the water.  Just
a suggestion.  It's hard when you don't know how your dog will react
to the pool and swimming.

I am also a college student, and on our campus there is an exercise
center.  If you would like to treadmill or something, and you want to
take your dog, again, just slip her leash around something nearby, and
make sure to keep an eye on her.  It might to be easiest to find a
time when a lot of people aren't in the room so that it isn't very
crowded.

Oh yes, one more thing, remember that pool areas are often very hot,
even hotter for your dog, so remember to bring water for her as well
as yourself.  Lol

Sorry for the novel.  These are just a few suggestions.  BTW, I am
also a guiding grad and a college student.  I heard you mention that
you were the youngest person in your class at GEB.  I was also the
youngest person in my class.