[nagdu] extremely basic guide dog questions...

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Wed Jul 27 18:34:10 UTC 2011

Anybody remember Dog Poop Girl?
If not, this should help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_vigilantism#Dog_Poop_Girl

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of GARY STEEVES
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:29 PM
To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Subject: Re: [nagdu] extremely basic guide dog questions...

Hi:

Yes,  picking up is sometimes a point of discontent. First, I'm often asked if, because I'm blind, I don't have to follow the laws and pick up after my dog. I always have a good chuckel and say "because I'm blind I'm going to be sure to attempt to pick up everything he does since I'm most likely to be the one who steps in it if I don't!" No one has said anything to me but there was a big dump right in front of my building that wasn't picked up and I'm sure people were thinking it was me unless they actually watch us and see that Bogart never does #2 in front of our building. He has a couple of other spots he prefers more for that pleasure.

It drives me nuts though how we, who are blind and have to really develop systems to  pick up after our dogs are able to do this yet so many sighted people are so bloody lazy that they can't pick up after their dogs. I'm amazed that after a year in my neighbourhood I haven't mananged to step in any other dogs mess yet (knock on wood) but isn't part of having a dog the responsibility to pick up after it? Why are so many people unable to manage this simple task? <big sigh>

Gary