[nagdu] Traveling out of the country with a dog.

holly mcknight hollyandpolly at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 2 20:49:19 UTC 2011

Hello all, I have noticed a subject that peaked my curiosity  I noticed a young lady here on the list who has been in England for school with a dog for a semester and others talking about traveling all over the world with dogs.  I had never done it with my first two dogs, but when I got my third, my parents were living on the Island of Cyprus, near Isreal because of my dad's job.  We decided that we would go there to visit him.  Along the way, because you can't get there from here we stopped in Switzerland and Austria.  I had studied music in college, so visitng the church where Motzart played etc, was amazing.  We also took the Sound of Music Tour, and that was amazing.  People in Europe have really come a long way in their understanding of blindness and making things more user friendly.  We really didn't have any access problems there.  The worst one was in Cyprus, at an ice-cream store.  Lucky for me the weather was nice and we had planned to eat outside anyway, so no big deal.

Last year we took a cruise from Texas, to Florida and The Bahamas, on Carnival.  That was a great experience.  The cruise line went way out of their way to make my stay great.  They provided Braille info, and they set a private releaving area  for Pollyann.  The crew members, who had been on the ship for months were very happy to have us along, especially when the harness came off.  Pollyann wore bandanas each day that were the same color is my clothes and people would litterally find her to see what she was wearing.  In short my travels have been great.  Does anyone else have great stories of neat travels to share?  Or, has your dog done something in their work that yu would consider them a hero for doing.  Obviously, just by the nature of the job, they are heros.  Hope this gets people to think.  Take care, Holly McKnight and Pollyann