[nagdu] motivation update

Steven Johnson blinddog3 at charter.net
Fri Jun 3 22:11:35 UTC 2011

Hey Julie, that is cool!  Meow!

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Julie J
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 4:12 PM
To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Subject: [nagdu] motivation update

I thought I'd update yawl on my efforts to motivate Monty on the trip to
work.

I tried the dog and cat noises.  the first time he stopped at looked up at
me.  I imagine he thought I'd gone right round the bend.  Subsequent animal
noises got no acknowledgement what-so-ever.

I tried varying the route as much as possible.  This helps a bit, until we
get close and he figures out what's up.

I tried treats, just the ordinary ones though.  I need to get some
dehydrated meat or something that won't spoil for a higher value treat.  The
treats seem to inspire him for about 6 feet.  I'm not giving up on them
altogether though.  I think if I had something extremely tasty that I
brought out only on rare occasions it might be more motivating.

I tried petting him while walking, but I'm not very coordinated.  also he
was a bit unsure about what I was doing.  It felt clumsy and awkward.  I
don't think this will work for us.

What I did find that works pretty well is something I used when I was
training him.  I stop and invite him to jump up.  I then rub his head and
neck vigorously.  Not a conventional reward/motivator for a guide dog, but
it works amazingly well.  I have no idea what I'll do if it rains again.  I
can't show up to work with muddy footprints on the front of my shirt!
*smile*  For the moment it's working and I'm content.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!  It helped me to really think about
what motivates him.

Julie