[nagdu] motivation update

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Fri Jun 3 22:16:22 UTC 2011

Hi Julie,

Sorry I didn't chime in on this one earlier, but it sounds like you've found
a good motivator for Monty. One of my dogs had a similar issue with routes
and I did pretty much the same thing, stopping to "pet her up" which sounds
obscene outside of a training context. <grin>

Btw, it's not that unusual in the realm of guide dog instructor advice.
Granted, the full body contact might be, but then again, most instructors
would say if it's working, you don't mind and he doesn't jump on anyone else
unbidden, why not?

Can you discover a way to pet him up during play that doesn't involve him
jumping up on you to avoid the muddy paws, dusty paws, etc.?

Swap will slow and stop, turning to poke me. If I don't acknowledge this
either with a sincere petting session or a full stop, he will pout. I find
the second or so it takes to do the full stop and scratch under the chin and
smile at him is well worth it later.

You also might leave the really high value treat for a point on the route
where there's no place else to go but work, then another one at work. This
way, from anywhere you vary the route, when he gets to that point of
recognizing it's work, he gets a prize, a big prize, high value prize. Then
another one when you get to work.

I've heard instructors recommend cat treats as high value easy to stow
training treats. I personally use the Baa-Baa-cues, dried lamb lung, broken
into small pieces. Stays dry, doesn't smell or spoil.

Jenine Stanley

jeninems at wowway.com