[nagdu] Accessible Europe

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Thu Jun 9 22:42:54 UTC 2011

I took my Dog Guide to only one European country, the Netherlands in 1990. I
needed a rabies certificate from my vet, giving the lot number of the
vaccine used, and had to get it countersigned by an Agriculture Dept
officer, whom I found in the state capital. Unfortunately he was in his
office only a few hours a week, but he was very helpful in arranging to be
there when I could get a ride there.

In order to use public transportation there I had to get some sort of
certificate from a local society for the blind. I no longer remember names,
but shortly after the trip I had had an article in Harness Up about my
experiences.

I arrived at Amsterdam airport and no one asked to see the rabies
certificate, then took a train to Den Haag where my convention was, and took
a trolley car from the train station to my "pension", and then between the
pension and the convention center. Again no one asked to see my permit. But
I bet that if I had failed to get both documents I would have run into
trouble.

I was in Glasgow for conventions in 1995 and 2005, but both times was
between dogs so did not worry about it. While there I did touring around
Britain (including Scotland and Wales), and had no trouble with access. I
had heard that some theaters and other facilities do not allow blind persons
to enter, but was relieved to have no problems.

I plan to go to a convention in London in 2014. My Seeing Eye Dog will be
9.5 years old at the time, still fit to work. I am debating boarding the dog
for the trip, and use my cane as on previous trips. Also I am contemplating
visiting Lithuania as part of the same trip. Both my parents were born in
Lithuania, and I grew up speaking the language, but have not had practice
with it since my mother died in 1995 at the age of 97. I have no idea of how
acceptable dogs are, there, and that is another reason for leaving him home.
I would ask Seeing Eye whether they would hold him for me, or perhaps get a
local dog sitter.

Best, Ed Meskys