[nagdu] conventions and dogs

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 17 18:59:39 UTC 2011

Julie,

As usual, I enjoy reading your well-stated reasoning. Unless we win the
lottery in the next week or two, I am spared of making the decision with
Mitzi poodle, but I like to weigh the pros and cons of taking her to
convention just to stay in practice. We're just not managing to find a
way to get out and do real work for her, so I suppose this year it would
have been too much to take her.  Then again, if I were able to plan to
go to convention, I would also no doubt be putting more time -- and
would hopefully have the financial resources -- to solve my problems in
getting out to practice her more advanced skills and my O&M in more
challenging (and fun!) environments.  I could evaluate her performance
and have a clearer picture of how she might do now that she's an
experienced adult professional. /smile/

We'll be going to a local guide dog user event in the middle of July,
after a vacation in a place where I can get out and give her more work.
In a town of 12,000, so not exactly like doing Portland, but we won't be
hopelessly rusty!

Have fun in Reno while your country dog has fun at the sitters! /smile/