[nagdu] a cane and dog discussion

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 06:46:08 UTC 2011

Hello everyone.

It is very late, so I hope I make sense as I pose the following
discussion to you.  A friend and I are engaged in an interesting
arguement.  We are talking about guide dog users and how much they use
their canes and a few other things.  I'd just like to pose a few
questions.  (Some of them may seem rather basic.)

Do you think that guide dog users are just as independent as cane
users when it comes to travelling?

Do you think you lose cane skills if  you use a dog the majority of the time?

Do you think that the majority of dog handlers are bad cane users?

I know these are really general questions, and if you can't answer
them with direct answers, please, just your observations or
experiences will suffice.  I'm just very curious about this.  I want
to know what people think, and I don't really want to seem too
invested in this or as though I am taking a side.  I'm pretty young
and a relatively new guide dog user, so I know there are things I
don't know and haven't seen yet.  I'm more interested in what you guys
say.

Thanks.  Sorry if my late night/early morning ramblings make no sense.

--
Julie McG
 Lindbergh High School class of 2009, participating member in Opera

life."
John 3:16