[nagdu] Success stats

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Jun 24 15:44:15 UTC 2011

In the latest Seeing Eye annual report, they talk about working to improve
their success rate from birth to a successful match.  The report said that
80% of the dogs that enter training make it through.  It also said that
they have lowered the number of puppies they need to breed in order to
have enough for training, but, looking at the numbers, it looks like
roughly 2 to 1--509 pups born, 254 partnered with students.
I remember reading, ages ago, that only 50% of guide dog puppies make it
through, and these stats look about the same, to me.
I would really like to know if GDB's new methods have changed that ratio
significantly.  I'm also curious if it's about the same at other schools.
50% seems pretty poor to me, but maybe that's just how it is.  Anyway,
these sorts of stats interest me, and I thought they might interest
others, too.  If anyone else has different stats, I'd love to find out
more.
Tracy