[nagdu] . Fireworks and Thunder, question?

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 28 16:03:53 UTC 2011

Steve,

Don't know the name of the natural calming stuff with "comfort" in the
name, but we've had good luck with Daisy with Rescue Remedy.  I'd read
about the coats to comfort dogs, but we never got around to getting one
by the time Daisy's anxiety issues started to drop down into the "we can
let the dog live" range. Whew!

Funny thing. She was a total freak about thunderstorms and fireworks,
more than with, well, everything. DD had been bringing her along there
by holding her and comforting her, but she was still just totally off
her nut over the things.  More so than about everything.  /smile/

So shortly after I moved in with my poodle thing, there was this big
storm a' blowin' in.  Much excitement, announcements on the news, phone
calls to & from friends.  Really exciting, thrilling stuff.  Er... This
is western Oregon, remember. We had a freak storm this spring that was
really extreme and lasted an entire 7 to 10 minutes. /lol/ Still, it's
kinda fun to remember what *real* weather is like once in a while.
Mitzi loves storms, funny girl, but we like to be out together in them
-- being careful to take precautions against lightning, just in case.

Anyway, big storm bearing down on us, going to blow us all away, and our
house right in the path! We got all set up for Daisy management, then
Mitzi and I stepped outside to enjoy the storm as it became palpable in
the air.

Well! Daisy was *not* about to be left out of that action! So I opened
the door for her, and she came bouncing out...  Then realized what was
going and stared around ferociously, looking to take on whatever it was
she needed to take on... She gave a few practice barks, then looked
around...  She watched Mitzi bouncing and whirling in the growing wind
with a bitter expression.  I tried to muffle my laughter. DD was at the
door, ready to let his crazed beast in at the first time of trouble.  He
finally went back in to the couch and TV to watch the news of the storm
as it moved our way.  It was predicted to pass right over our heads at
any moment, he kept informing me, starting to sound a little huffy over
my good cheer at the news. /lol/

And then it happened... A rumble of thunder to the west. Daisy was all
over that. She sped to the porch fence, in full bark, and she told that
storm exactly what it had in store if it even dared to come where she
could get her teeth on it.  There was another, louder rumble.  Daisy was
not backing down!

And then, in the way of our teensy weather events, the storm veered and
went around us. Daisy was so impressed with herself, she didn't know
what to do!  She had taken on the thunder, and she had shown it who was
boss! That was one empowered crazy hound dog, I tell you!

She has not even twitched at thunder, fireworks, transformer explosions
or anything since.

So, I guess the real cure for fear of thunder and fireworks, is to
arrange an opportunity for the dog to chase the storm away.  /lol/