[nagdu] Local business asks service dog to leave

Julie J julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Mar 3 22:34:51 UTC 2011

Albert,

Interesting questions...There is no way to know how a judge would interpret
any of this.  So everything I'm saying is strictly conjecture.

The training of the dog is important, but if the person doesn't have a
qualifying disability, no amount of training will make the dog a service
dog.  Example-Monty is a trained guide dog, but if my sighted husband takes
him to the grocery store, all that training doesn't matter because it isn't
mitigating any disability.  It would be fraudulent for my nondisabled
husband to claim the need for a guide dog.

the first burden of proof in court would be, does the person have a
disability as defined under the ADA?  When we are talking about blindness,
it's pretty easy because level of vision is pretty easy to test and assign a
number.  It is generally agreed that 20/200 or less vision in the better eye
or a field of vision less than some number that escapes me at the moment.
That's all straightforward.  Likewise deafness can be measured and noted
very similarly.  People who use a wheelchair are also pretty straightforward
as being disabled.  Where it gets sticky is with conditions that come and
go, or the effects aren't consistent.  Under the ADA a disability must
substantially limit your daily life.  They use seeing, hearing and walking
as examples.

To dig deeper you have to read into case law.  In Toyota vs. Williams, Ms.
Williams hands were injured so that she could no longer do her job.  she was
let go by Toyota.  In court she claimed that she had a disability and was
discriminated against by Toyota by being fired from her job.  It was
determined that Ms. Williams was not disabled because she still had enough
function in her hands to brush her hair and teeth, even though there were
many other tasks she could not perform, including her job duties, which if
I'm remembering correctly were obtained by an accident at her job with
Toyota.

A diagnosis does not make a disability.  Two people can be diagnosed with
the same seizure disorder, one could be considered to be disabled and the
other not.  It depends on how that diagnosis presents itself in the daily
life of the individual.  Person A might be disabled if they have seizures on
a daily or weekly basis which limit their ability to leave their home, work,
or care for themselves.  Person B might not be considered to be disabled if
they only have seizures every few months because they can still go about
their normal affairs with little interruption.

My understanding has always been that outside of easily measurable
disabilities like blindness, only a judge can determine if a person is
considered to be disabled.  Toss in psychiatric disabilities and you can see
how messy this gets in a hurry.
Anyway I've gotta get to a meeting.  I'll think more on it and see if I can
come up with anything that explains it more clearly.

Julie