[nagdu] NAGDU: Well meaning people

Lisa Irving lirving1234 at cox.net
Fri Mar 4 04:50:03 UTC 2011

Hi Julie,

Today, I had two instances where well meaning people kept correcting me and
telling me that my dog was moving in the wrong direction. The first
individual was a deputy at the court house. Despite my gentle insistance
that I didn't need accompaniment to where I was going, his superior  told
him to go with me. I figured I'd be polite and also sort of blow him off. My
dog was taking me along the side of the hall; absolutely correct. He took me
to a bench; not a big deal as I've recently taught him to find bus benches.
It went on and on until we reached the office. All along I said in a chipper
voice that my dog was correct in his judgments. Spoken words fell on deaf
ears. The second situation was with a friend who has spent a decent amount
of time around guide dogs. I knew he meant well. I explained the same thing
to him-- my guide dog was correct in his judgments. I also cut my new dog
guide some slack too. I really don't want to go to most every pole and most
every bench. However, I know he's trying to please me. And, I also want him
to know what a very good dog he is.

Lisa and Bernie