[nagdu] Pulling up the harness was Do you ever get angry withyour dogs andhowtocontroleit?

Lisa Irving lirving1234 at cox.net
Sun Mar 6 05:26:57 UTC 2011

Hi Doug,

Let me see if I've got this correct. Pull up on the harness without
dragging; or remotely dragging pup. Lead with the leash and definitely
reward w/ praise and treats. I like your description of training dogs on the
tread mill. The last thing I want to do is cause my pup discomfort.

Today, Bernie's pace seemed pretty consistent. The changes I made included:
gently pulling back and slightly up on the harness handle. This positioned
my arm further back. Landon's handler showed me how to angle my arm ever so
slightly. Praise and food rewards are a given when we're on route. Bernie
goes bonkers when we play the clicker game.

Incidentally, for those of you that have not had clicker training, you might
consider contacting your school to see if they've incorporated clicker
training; useful for targeting and landmarking. I can't rave enough about
this awesome GEB has made in it's already excellent training program.

Thanks again, Doug.

Lisa and Bernie