[nagdu] PA Evans'Bill to Help ProtectService AnimalsReceives House Endorsement

Lisa Irving lirving1234 at cox.net
Fri Mar 11 04:51:35 UTC 2011

Steve,

Without getting morose it can be beneficial to role play  in your mind
various situations. "Some one" included the owner or human aggressor, and
yes, the aggressive dog. Years ago A probably mentally unstable woman's
smallish dog attacked my very docile golden retriever. I started to swing my
foot to separate the aggressive dog from my dog that just sat there. The
unstable woman came at my face; clawing my neck and my face. I didn't see it
coming and I was badly rattled. I know there's no chance I could have taken
photos as everything happened so fast. In that instance people stood and
gawked, but no one was courageous enough to step forward to talk to the
police when they arrived.If something similar happened today I'd probably
still end up taking a hit. I also know I'd make a lot of noise and hope an
empathetic good Samaritan steps forward. Only as a very last resort would I
incorporate my martial arts skills to create space between me and the human
aggressor. Martial arts promotes stepping back and creating space when at
all possible. In other words I would not contribute to a hostile
environment. As for my dog, I suspect if  I unclipped his leash or tossed
something, Bernie would likely take off. That's both positive and negative.
The alternative, him getting seriously hurt isn't an option.

Lisa and Bernie