[nagdu] Body language

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 12 21:03:17 UTC 2011

Lyn,

I've met a few people who were born blind whose parents taught them about
using body language, and it seems to make a difference for them in moving
and accomplishing things in a world populated by mostly sighted people.

I find it fairly odd that this is not something that is taught as part of
preparation for a vocation or in other training.  I do notice a difference
between blind people in Oregon who have been through our VR agency and those
who have been through training at one of the NFB centers.  Does anybody know
if those centers teach body language along with other skills?  People I've
met who have been through there convey a fair amount of confidence and ease
of movement.  Also, I hear more vocal support from them when they're
talking...  They sound stronger and more confident.  Those who have been
through Oregon Commission for the Blind sound fairly defeatest and negative,
or they overcompensate by appearing to boast over small accomplishments in a
way that puts whomever they're talking to down...  I know that's a
generality, but it's such a common trend that it's become pretty easy to
notice.  Having dealt with that agency -- and been dealt with by them -- I
can see directly where it comes from, too.  Makes my hair stand on end, and
I'm never sure how to respond.  /smile/  There's a definite and sharp
difference, though, with those who have been through one of the NFB centers.

Tami Smith-Kinney