[nagdu] Dog attacks: accessible cell phone with camera

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 03:48:23 UTC 2011

Julie,

Love you step by step process.  That's pretty much what I have done, too,
including your first 2 steps.  /lol/

So I always thought I was a little weird for wanting to put my dog behind me
and face the oncoming dog myself with my 'tude -- the dominant body posture
you describe.  Well, actually, I guess the message isn't so much one of
dominance, per se, as it is an indication that one is not prey.  /lol/  So
long as the potential aggression from the other dog is out of hand prey
drive, communicating that you may be another predator instead -- and one who
will stand its ground -- is a pretty good bet.  Also, the posture does
balance my weight on the balls of my feet and puts me in balance to move
quickly in whichever way I need to, in case the attacking dog decides to go
for it anyway.  So far, so good.  Still, I do mentally review my breaking up
dog fights moves from back on the ranch...  Which may communicate something,
too.  /smile/  The follow-through is in my mind and probably is being
telegraphed in some way.  Take no prisoners and all that.  /lol/

I somehow fully plan to take a picture of the offending dog with the picture
phone or whatever which magically appears in my hand during my scenario
planning.  /lol/  Because, you know, it's not like it would buried in my
purse or fallen out of my pocket or anything like that when I really need
it.  Ah, well.  It could happen that I will have it handy and can do
something useful with it.  You never know.

I know you've been working with animals for years before you became a guide
dog user, as I did.  So here's something I wonder about using the technique
of putting your guide dog behind you so that you can face the oncoming
threat and diffuse it through body language and whatever else it is that
you're conveying.

Do you think that would work for those guide dog users who don't have tons
of animal experience?  It's something I've often wondered, because what I've
heard of various programs teaching -- to have the dog do a down stay while
the handler stands still (or so it seems I'm told) -- never felt right to
me.  But then I rethought it, realizing that many guide dog users aren't
lifelong "animal people."

So is the deflecting, cross-intimidation posture one you feel you could
describe to someone without extensive experience with many animals,
especially dogs, in a freer environment than that usually inhabited by a
guide dog, so that that person could use it successfully?

I don't think I'm asking the question very well, and I'm more curious than
anything.  But I have wondered at times.

Tami Smith-Kinney