[nagdu] Inquiry From New List Member

Robert Martin robert.martin at cfu.net
Mon Mar 28 10:21:09 UTC 2011

Good Morning,

I subscribed to this list over the weekend.  I have been a long-term cane user but am now convinced that a dog guide will provide greater freedom and flexibility in my world.  I am scheduled to receive training and a dog this summer.  I am wondering if there are any public school or university teachers on this list who are dog users.  I have wondered how the dogs function in an environment in which they are on the job among lots of people and in a variety of meetings for eight hours daily.  In addition to being a teacher, I am also a university department head and spend a good deal of time behind my desk dealing with paperwork, students, faculty, and other administrators.  Will the dog become excessively restless and do the dogs simply adapt reasonably rapidly.

I have no problem providing the dog with long walks daily and a good environment at home where it will be taken care of and played with but I have wondered how the dogs handle the stress of the work environment.  Anyone with experience who wishes to comment on this will be much appreciated.

On another matter, I am curious as to whether there is much traffic on this list.

Information will be welcome.

Regards,

Bob Martin