[nagdu] Guidedogs in China

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri May 6 16:57:30 UTC 2011

Crystal,

Hi, and welcome!  I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out about
guide dog use in China.

If you like, I would also be *very* interested in anything you can tell us
as a group about Chinese cultural attitudes towards dogs in general, guide
dogs in particular and visual impairment/blindness/disabilities.  When I'm
moving around through ethnically diverse areas, or those pockets of culture
one finds like Chinatown here in Portland, it is helpful for me to
understand the underlying culture and attitudes of the people with whom I'm
interacting and communicating, especially when it comes to my blindness and
my guide dog.  By having as good an idea as I can of the other person's
point of view, I can do a better job of briding the disability and dog gap
across cultural boundaries much more effectively, thus giving myself and
them and my little dog, too, better odds of avoiding hassles and headaches
and worries about whether I'm going to need to litigate.  Tha is something I
am much too lazy to do, so I would rather improve my understanding and
communication skills...

Also, I just love knowing about other cultures and languages anyway, so I
have more fun, which is really what that's all about.  /grin/  Learning more
about Chinese culture from someone who understands my own cultural
background well enough to explain it to me would be awesome!

Tami Smith-Kinney