[nagdu] Zoo Policies on Service Animals

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Sun May 8 04:24:54 UTC 2011

This reminds me of when I contacted Discovery cove back in March and
asked about coming there with my Seeing Eye dog in July. I ultimatley
decided not to go partly due to funds, but mainly to the fact that if
I did take my guide, there would be a limited number of places the dog
could visit, even while in harness, such as the beach, restaurants,
restrooms, and a few other nondescript places. The dog could not go
near the snorkling area, the bird aviary, or within 10 feet of the sea
life, such as the dolphin swim area. If I couldn't take my guide to a
majority of the park's places, then what's the point in going? The
first time I called I was told that I would have to make other
arrangements for my dog while I was swimming with the dolphins. The
second time I called and asked the same thing, the agent I spoke with,
who was different from the first one, said that while the park
couldn't garrentee that someone would be available to hold my dog's
leash, she said she could make the note and as long as they knew ahead
of time, then she thought it would be okay. I can kind of understand
not taking the dog near the dolphin swim area, but what's the deal
with taking the dog in the bird aviary? Sure, some dogs may lose it
and want to chase the birds, but a vast majority of guide dogs are
well behaved and know their jobs, and aren't going to indulge in that
puppy like behavior. I hope that NAGDU can form agreements with zoos
and the AZA on these policies, since there are zoos I would like to
visit. I know I could have kenneled my guide at Sea World across the
street. I didn't see the point though of kenneling the dog in a
strange area, then going back across the street for the day or half
day, and come back to get the dog later, who would have likely been
nervous and anxious about being left alone in a strange place for many
hours. If I were with my family or friends then it may have been a
different story, but I was going on my own.

Sincerely,
Wayne Merritt

--
Follow me on Twitter at: