[nagdu] Zoo Policies on Service Animals

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun May 8 17:18:03 UTC 2011

Hi Marion,
We recently had a speaker from the Zoo at our blind center.  He said that
there were changes regarding service dogs along with the other services for
disabled patrons. He gave me a copy of this but I haven't had a chance to
read it yet.

He did tell us that service dogs are allowed in everything with the
exception of one of the aviaries for birds and inside the petting corral
where the animals walk around loose - I wouldn't want my dog in that anyway.
But the dogs are now allowed in the Childrens Zoo where the petting corral
is located.

When the San Diego Zoo first allowed service dogs back in 1994, there were
more restrictions.  We couldn't bring them into any of the shows, any of the
avaries, or in the Childrens Zoo at all.  With the exclusion of the one
aviary, I didn't get to ask the reason why the dogs could go into the other
ones but not one particular one - what made the excluded aviary different
from the rest.

I think as people realize that the threats to the animals or our dogs are
really unfounded, things will open up even more and alot has to do with the
work of you and NAGDU.  Thank you!!!

And it goes without saying: You know your dog and if you find it is
appropriate to bring YOUR dog into a zoo envirnment and if you do bring the
dog in, you keep the dog on its best behavior!  Landon does well in zoos but
I put his headcollar on to keep him well behaved.

Take care,

Lyn and Landon